What Information Should I Give My Accountant for Self Assessment?

In the UK, self-employed people, also known as sole traders, need to complete a self-assessment tax return. It is advisable to use an Accountant to complete this process. What information should you give them? 

In this article, we will answer the following questions and problems first-time sole traders (and even more seasoned self-employed) ask. These include:

Who is required to send a tax return?

The following people are legally required to send tax returns

You are not required to file if you are solely earning from wages or pension. But you would be required to send a tax return if you have any other untaxed income such as:

How to register and send a return

What are the deadlines for self-assessment this year?

 The deadline for self-assessment covering the 2021/22 financial year is as follows:

Self Assessment


Register for self-assessment

5 October 2022

Paper tax return

Midnight 31 October 2022

Online tax return

Midnight 31 January 2023

Payment of tax

Midnight 31 January 2023


What information should you provide to your accountant?

Even if you have hired a Chartered Accountant, you still need to make sure that you have all the correct information to hand. Here is a list of all information that you need to provide to your Accountant.

Employment information

You need to provide the following information about your employment:

Pension income

If you are receiving any occupational pension, then you need to provide your accountant with your P60 or the certificate of pension paid, how much pension you receive and your notification letter should you receive a state pension.

Self-employment and partnership income

All information about profits or losses made by the business should be provided to your accountant. This includes:

Capital transaction

The following information related to capital transactions needed to be provided

Investment Income

Any investment income earned needs to be included in the self-assessment. The following table summarises the documents required for different investment types.

Investment income type

Documentation required

Interest from banks and building societies

Certificates of interest and tax deducted

Dividends from UK companies

Dividend/ distribution vouchers

Earning from trusts, settlements, Deeds of Covenant and estates

Lender’s statements reflecting interest paid and tax relief

Income from property

Income and expenditure statements

Overseas income

Dividend vouchers


Tax deductible expenses list

Pension contributions

Payment details

Qualifying loans and mortgages

Lender’s statements reflecting interest paid and tax relief

Find a trusted accountant to help you stay compliant

For many self-employed people, filing a tax return is a headache you can do without. It takes up time, steals your focus away from what you do best, and can be complicated for the uninitiated. 

Accountants have years of experience. They can help you pick through the thorny details, appraise your incoming and outgoings and pull some of the levers at your disposal to cut costs. 

The most important thing for self-employed people? Keeping on top of the finances of the business. Keep your invoices in shape, hold onto your expenses and just be organised. 

That means when the deadlines are looming, you can hand your details over to your accountant, and be safe in the knowledge that you’ll remain on the good side of HMRC. Because that’s where we all want to be.

Our Accountants will happily take all of your financial records off your hands. If you need a trusted Accounting firm that can take care of your books, and become a trusted strategic partner in the process, get in touch.


* indicates required
How would you like us to address you?
(e.g. +44 123456790)

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Pennyhills® Accountants:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices.

Intuit Mailchimp